Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My bloody Induction to Rugby



Last Saturday, April 09, 2011, was my first ever game at Rugby. I had no Idea what was coming my way. It all started quite normally. Woke up at around 10 AM and had my routine self-care activities. Then came lunch, which then meant a cup of brown rice and some tuna. A bit of the internet addiction made me go online for a bit, then I had to take a shower.

It was a very hot day out. And, as I remember it, the sun was really beating down on everyone and everything that stood in its light's way. My 5-minute walk turned out to be the worst saunas in my life. The ones wherein you cry out for the heat to be turned off but you're trapped in the soundproof sauna.

The jeepney ride did not help one bit. I thought that with the extreme heat, the driver would actually drive faster to let the gush of wind cool his face off. But no, he had to drive super slow because every passenger, so it seems, is thankful for the shade his vehicle had to give. He felt the passengers were indebted to him for the shade, the time to sit down and the ride that he had to slow down for EVERY SINGLE PERSON ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD! Too bad, that cost him my extra P1.50. Balls to you, sir!

The meeting place was right across Ayala Terraces. I was supposed to look for this bus to bring us to Cebu International School for the game. I was taken aback when the bus that they had was the Kaohsiung bus of the local government. What a way to use Cebu City's taxes. It was comfortable inside, well air conditioned but the seats could use some fixing up.

We arrived at CIS at around 2PM. It was freakingly hot. The grass only made things worse. The moisture from the blades only made the field more humid to play at. After dressing to my apparel, I had my doubts of playing. I mean, who would after seeing that the opponent were all Europeans! Frenchmen, Dutchmen, Germans, it seemed like there was an EU meeting. They were the Manila Nomads! And they were here for a showdown with the local rugby team I am currently affiliated with, the Cebu Dragons.


So for that afternoon's game, it was:


Manila Nomads vs. Cebu Dragons


Little did I know that the afternoon's match was 15's, meaning there were 15 people per side and the match was an hour long. Also, did I mention that this was going to be a FULL-CONTACT game? We had to tackle the opposing team members for us to have a shot at gaining control over the ball. Now, that gave me the jitters.

It was play time and I had a jersey too big for my size. And even before the game has started, I can feel the sweat dripping on my forehead in anxiety for my first ever game. I was assigned the position of wing, meaning I was on the side most part of the teams line up. That's a relief, most wingmen don't get a chance to see the ball. I thought wrong.

In the first quarter, the Nomads passed the ball around and it ended up on my side of the field. My tackling skills aren't that good enough yet so I ended up being carried on my knee with the other player still making a go at the goal. End result, scratched up knee.

In the second half of the match, another player with the ball made his way to my side and was lunging forward for the attack. Again, I tried to tackle but I didn't see my other teammate already diving from my left side. Our heads bump together and we were left in a pile. End result, bloody lip.

When the match ended, the Cebu Dragons won over the Manila Nomads. It was their first victory against the Nomads.

As for myself, I am told that I was crazy for having a full contact 15's game as my first rugby game. I am proud of my injuries. I expect more in the future. Meanwhile, celebrations are in order.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments, Suggestions, Violent Reactions?